Improving Git workflow

Matthew Brush mbrush at codebrainz.ca
Thu Oct 10 05:14:32 CEST 2013

On 13-10-09 03:04 PM, Felipe Contreras wrote:

> Now it's clear what commits are translations, and what actual changes,
> but it doesn't end there.

This would be quite useful to me, even though I'm hardly the most active
contributor, I very often am reviewing the commits in the various
projects (often using web-based viewer), and you're right it makes it
hard to find the "important" (with respect to the source code) changes.

> [snip]
>
> Secondly, you don't need tags named like xfce4-panel-4.10.0, we are
> already in xfce4-panel, there's no need to specify the name again. A
> good convention is what git.git does; v4.10.0. Similarly, you don't
> need an xfce-4.10 branch, it can be named 4.10.

4.10 is also shorter to type, although it's hardly worth bikeshedding
over :)

> Third, you don't need personal branches like andrzejr/deskbar2, that's
> what personal repositories are for. See for example:

In other projects I contribute to, personal repositories (often Github
"forks") are very easy and convenient even for a Gitiot like me :) I
think it took me 10 minutes to Google for and learn the couple of
commands needed to work with them, and I find it offers better
organization and workflow, especially when interacting with other
people's code who might not have/want commit rights on the main repository.

> [snip]
>
> What do you think?

"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your
newsletter." -Homer Simpson

Cheers,
Matthew Brush