XFCE4 Hardware Monitor Applet - Port of GNOME 2 Hardware Monitor Applet

Omega Weapon omegaphil at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 11:43:53 CET 2013

On 17/11/13 10:29, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
> Omega Weapon wrote:
>> Sending this as some may be interested:
>>
>> I have managed to port the GNOME 2 Hardware Monitor applet to my XFCE4
>> environment, in order to get at a proper network bandwidth graph for
>> the panel. I've posted the details here:
>>
>> https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2013/11/15/gnome-2-hardware-monitor-applet-ported-to-xfce4/
>

> How did you satisfy the requirement for libpanelapplet-2.0 through the
> package manager? I have libpanel-applet-4-0(-dev) installed (wheezy) but
> as far as I know it's not even backwards compatible with 2.0 (judging
> from my few attempts to compile my gnome2 equake applet on wheezy).
>
> Have you considered porting it completely to Xfce, that is removing all
> dependencies on gnome so you don't have to download any gnome libraries?
> It's what I did with my Xfce equake panel plugin.
>
> It is actually not that difficult, considering Xfce uses gtk as well.
> You will only need to get rid of the gnome panel applet mess and the
> bonobo crap (pun intended). And replace them with Xfce libraries, which
> work much better and are easier imo. Normally that's only a few
> functions here and there (or in just one source file if the original
> programmer kept it clean).

It is a port, so the basic requirement was to kill off GNOME
dependencies - e.g. my build dependencies are (from notes):

libglademm-2.4-dev libgnomecanvasmm-2.6-dev libgtkmm-2.4-dev
libgtop2-dev libsensors4-dev libxfce4ui-1-dev xfce4-panel-dev

I drew the line at GNOME canvas - this is my first serious C++ project,
and it had already taken far too long to reach this point (~2.25 months
on/off).

My aim was to have it working in Debian Testing, so presumably I can
stick with that until the library finally drops off.