Xfce is now the default DE in Debian Jessie

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Wed Nov 6 22:53:59 CET 2013

On Tue, 2013-11-05 at 22:47 -0800, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> I imagine a few of you have seen this already, but:
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=tasksel/tasksel.git;a=commitdiff;h=dfca406eb694e0ac00ea04b12fc912237e01c9b5
>
> Pretty awesome stuff.

Actually, as the main Debian/Xfce maintainer, I'm not sure “pretty
awesome” would be the term I'd use.

Unfortunately, we're more or less 2.5 people working on Xfce inside
Debian. And I fear that having more users doesn't mean we'll have more
maintainers, so we'll just have more backlogs in bug.

And 2.5 people on Xfce/Debian is actually pretty fine, when you look at
upstream Xfce state of affairs.

So if having Xfce as the default desktop in Debian (which actually
doesn't mean much, considering it's only for new install from CDs, which
are not really used outside of released versions) means more people
helping us and upstream, then it's fine. But I somehow doubt it.

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis