Trying to compile a panel plugin

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Fri May 31 00:31:54 CEST 2013

On 05/30/2013 12:33 PM, Harald Judt wrote:
> Am 30.05.2013 20:22, schrieb Jeroen van Aart:
>> incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function
>
> While not having looked at any of the attached files, it seems you have
> forgotten to include one or more needed header files (string.h?) in your

That was my first thought however that is not the case as far as I can see:

 From Makefile.am

xfce4_my_example_plugin_SOURCES =
     \
example_dat.h                                                    \
example_func.h                                                   \
example_images.h                                                 \
example_applet.c                                                 \
example.c                                                        \
example_processdata.c                                            \
example_menu.c

 From example_applet.c which is the first source file entered.
Originally I only had "xfce4_my_example_plugin_SOURCES =
example_applet.c" since the rest would be found through that file. Gave
the same error.

#include <gtk/gtk.h>
#include <glib-object.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <libxfce4util/libxfce4util.h>
#include <libxfce4panel/xfce-panel-plugin.h>
#include <libxfce4panel/xfce-hvbox.h>

#include "example_dat.h" /* contains all structures */
#include "example_func.h" /* contains all function prototypes used in
this program */
#include "example_images.h"
#include "example.c"
#include "example_processdata.c"
#include "example_menu.c"

/* register the xfce plugin */
XFCE_PANEL_PLUGIN_REGISTER_EXTERNAL(example_applet_fill);

> code. Google is your friend, simply search for the full warning/error
> message. Most of these errors don't have to do much with Xfce but are
> general errors for which stackoverflow.com usually provides good solutions.

Google definitely is not my friend but thank you. Yes I know of both
these sites, that is google.com and stackoverflow.com. Though I prefer
to use duckduckgo.com myself as a search engine. :-)

Nothing beats a good old mailinglist though, especially if the
information you need is not readily documented.

The reason I am asking here is that the source compiles fine. It's only
after changing the makefiles and configure files to accomodate xfce4
that the problems started. Which makes me believe I did something wrong
with regards to xfce4 specific build process. I need more insight into
that, more than I can gather from
http://users.xfce.org/~benny/projects/xfce4-dev-tools/ (which did help a
lot by the way).

Greetings,