Contributing to XFCE

alepic alepic at geckoblu.net
Wed Mar 13 08:23:55 CET 2013

Hi Landry,

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 7:53 PM, Landry Breuil <landry.breuil at gmail.com>wrote:

> Le 12 mars 2013 12:15, "alepic" <alepic at geckoblu.net> a écrit :
>
> I, of course dont want to discourage you at all (new contributors are
> always welcome!!!) But i dont see the difference between the existing
> window button plugin which is also fully customizable and the gnome windows
> applet...

Which plugin you referr to ?
I'm speaking of Window Applets
<http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=103732>a plugin which allow
to show the maximized window title and controls on the panel.
Till now I didn't found something similar in XFCE, just suggestion to use
it via the XfApplet as also Liviu suggest.
Maybe I miss something.

> If you want to contribute, you can also fix bugs in _existing_ software
> before starting from scratch :) lots of panel plugins are more or less
> unmaintained and could use a maintainer. Search in the archives for more
> information.

I completely agree. But at the moment I'm still learning C (and building
tools, and libraries ... a lot of stuff ;-) ).
Starting from scratch is just an easy way to learn without break someone
else code.

As soon as I feel more confident on my C skill I have the intention to help
fixing bugs.

> Landry (who got dragged into maintaining lots of plugins and could use
> some help)

I hope to be soon dragged too .

Alessio