xfce4-mixer patchset

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Sun Sep 23 19:42:19 CEST 2012

Hi,

Am 22.09.2012 19:29, schrieb Natanael Copa:
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 23:17:16 +0200
> Landry Breuil <landry.breuil at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've tried building it, but failed since it inconditionally depends on
>> a new thing (keybinder) not packaged yet on OpenBSD. If possible, make
>> this dependency optional... and it could have been integrated with the
>> xfce keyboard shortcuts dialog instead of doing its own handling in
>> its corner.
>
> One way to do it without the keybinder dependency would be to add
> commands line options which you could bind keys to:
>
>   xfce4-mixer --volume-up
>   xfce4-mixer --volume-down
>
> or something.
>
> -nc

Implementing these command line switches would be a total waste of time.
There are already a lot of command-line tools (e.g. amixer) which can do
such a job perfectly, have other useful options and usually come
preinstalled. xfce4-mixer will reflect any changes performed by these
tools. No need to re-invent the wheel.

I see the purpose for the multimedia key support. Users don't have to
configure anything, these keys are supposed to work out-of-the-box.
That's easy, especially for unexperienced users. No need to learn new
commands. For those who have already configured their system using
xfce4-keyboard-settings or a similar solution this function brings no
benefit and may even conflict with their current setup.

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'