About Gtk3/Gtk2 in 4.12

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Sat May 26 14:20:49 CEST 2012

On ven., 2012-05-25 at 09:36 +0200, Nick Schermer wrote:
> It might even be possible to run gtk3 panel plugins in a gtk2 panel
> (externally), so also for goodies it will give a better migration
> path.

Something which might be even more useful is the ability, for a future
gtk3 panel, to run gtk2 (external) plugins. Because plugins are already
have issues keeping up (there are still a lot of them still building
against libxfcegui4) so I'm pretty sure a number of them won't ever be
ported to gtk3 :)

Besides that, I'm not really in a hurry for migrating to a gtk3 Xfce in
Debian. But what puzzles me is what will be the state of Gtk2 when 4.12
is out and when we release Wheezy+1 (I'm pretty confident libgtk2 will
still be present in Debian for a few years, but at one point it won't be
maintained much).

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis