[Xfce 4.12] Roadmap and Features

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Mon May 7 12:53:19 CEST 2012

On 05/07/2012 01:34 PM, Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> On Mon, 7 May 2012 12:27:24 +0200
> Raphael Groner <raphgro at web.de> wrote:
>
>>> Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 10:24:37 +0200
>>> From: Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com>
>>> To: xfce4-dev at xfce.org
>>> Subject: Re: [Xfce 4.12] Roadmap and Features

>>> such as?

>>> +1
>>>
>> Systemd seems to become default for (mostly) all big mainstream
>> distributions. The goal is systemd, no matter. I don't think that a
>> configuration option is needed. If there's no systemd on the target
>> system, xfce4-session should fall back to sudo (or better gksu or
>> such), automatically.
> That's wrong. Ubuntu are sticking to upstart for instance [1]. I am not
> sure about Ubuntu derivatives but they might as well.

Let me assure you, we're sticking with what Ubuntu ships, unless there
is serious issues with it along with Xfce, which is when you would be
switching as well.

Why I'm telling this is that I'm relatively sure this is the same with
most other derivatives too (no workforce to do stuff like this). Also,
if it affects your choice to stick with something or not, here's at
least one distribution with upstart.

> And then there's
> alternative OSes like the BSDs who simply don't have systemd because
> is Linux only. For all those systems you don't just want the sudo
> fallback.
>
> If we can and if it's not too messy, we should allow systemd OR
> consolekit etc. OR sudo.
>
>   - Jannis
>
> [1] http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1121

Pasi