[Xfce 4.12] Roadmap and Features
vova.kravets at gmail.com
Fri May 4 15:05:46 CEST 2012
I would like to propose some improvement in release schedule about moving
to gtk3 and so on.
Since we have a lot of questions and not for all is not clear how it will
be with new gtk3 engine I want to propose such thing:
Since it very hard work for release in this case some of developer changed
major version of product. In our case:
4.x will be connected to gtk2
5.x will be connected to gtk3
1. Create new branch 4.x which will have have dep to gtk2.
This branch will exists only for support there are no new features in it,
only bug fixing.
2. In master (version 5.x) add dep to gtk3 and continue developing with new
gtk3 engine and all related work for porting plugins and so on to use new
In this case:
1. We will have latest working XFCE with gtk2 with all high/urgent fixes.
2. We will have ability to release 4.x version in any time
3. We will have working (for dev) release for 5.x to have ability to
implement/port new/old features and check it.
1. Need time and resources to maintained 2 versions
2. As I know in git repository we have different repositories for each
component thus need to understood how to organized this(two branches 4.x
and 5.x) in git.
When the 5.x version will be stable we can drop supporting of 4.x version
and working only in master.
Any comments/suggestion/ideas about this?
2012/5/4 Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org>
> Hi Guys,
> I have started on the roadmap wiki-page for 4.12 
> I put some dependencies there:
> gtk+-3.0 >= 3.2
> glib-2.0 >= 2.32
> cairo >= 1.10
> libwnck-1.0 >= 3.0
> upower >= 0.9.0 for Xfce4-power-manager.
> consolekit (through DBus in xfce4-session).
> As you can see, i've removed dbus-glib, since glib provides it's own
> dbus interface since 2.32 we might be able to drop it.
> I have also put a preliminary planning there, with some dates.
> Let the discussion begin.
>  https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.12/roadmap
> Xfce4-dev mailing list
> Xfce4-dev at xfce.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Xfce4-dev