Gtk3 for Xfce 4.12?

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Fri May 4 11:50:33 CEST 2012

Hi,

Am 04.05.2012 10:56, schrieb Nick Schermer:
> On 2012-05-04 10:22, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I think it is safe to conclude that we'll go for Gtk3 with 4.12?
>>
>> That's the only sensible option imho.
>
> I agree, but then we should, while porting to gtk3 in a branch, keep the
> new features in master to an absolute minimum until the gtk3 branches
> are merged.
>
> Once all of Xfce core is ported to gtk3 and merged in master we can
> start focusing on the goodies an new features.
>
> Regarding the version, gtk 3.2 seems most practical (with glib 2.30).
>
> Nick

I'm merely curious and interested in the decision-making process between
the conflicting priorities of stability and being up-to-date: Thinking
about the version currently available (3.4 here on my box) and the time
scope (well, what's the time scope actually, there are many projects
concerned?), what's the reason you would prefer to go with 3.2? Is 3.4
too unstable and do you consider it unlikely 3.4 will stabilize until
the transition is complete, or are there other reasons?

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'