- Views about Gtk3 from a common user.
chipong.luo at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 06:34:15 CEST 2012
Calm your anger, please. Bow to you and all other developers, you have
done so much work with so small team, it is remarkable!
Apologize first to interrupt and put in opinions here as a common user.
1. We must port Xfce to Gtk3 in long term's view.
2. The questions are:
* When do we port?
* How do we port?
3. Two outstanding facts are:
* There are few active developers.
* Common users do not care about Gtk2 or Gtk3.
4. The common users focus on applications and plugins.
So they do not care about core components very much, not to mention Gtk2
or Gtk3. Their expectations are more applications and more smoother user
5. How about give these applications and plugins more attentions?
* midori is very active, users can rely on.
* ristretto is very active, users can rely on.
* xfce4-mixer, features are completed?
* orage, features are completed?
* postler, features are completed?
* xfburn, features are completed?
* mousepad, features are completed?
* parole, should be improved especially!
* squeeze, should be improved.
* Camera and bluetooth control applications, to consider?
* xfprint, to develop again?
6. How about complete the port works in 2 years?
We should not miss the LTS versions such as Ubuntu 14.04 and Debian 8.
Xfce's development cycle has few influences over distributions such as
Fedora and *bsd.
7. To achieve the aims and reduce the hard works considering all these
conditions above, how about,
* for applications and plugins, supporting more features if they are
needed, polishing and porting?
* for core components, as they are mature and stable enough, only
polishing and porting?
More information about the Xfce4-dev