Menu Editor

Maximilien Noal noal.maximilien at gmail.com
Wed May 2 20:53:24 CEST 2012

On 05/02/2012 07:59 PM, Raphael Groner wrote:
> Maximilien Noal noal.maximilien at gmail.com
> Wed May 2 19:14:43 CEST 2012
>> If one has to make an "official" menu editor for Xfce, I think that
>> alacarte-xfce [1] will be a good starting point, instead of starting
>> from scratch.
>
> It does not make much sense to use alacarte-xfce as a starting point
> for coding. Although, it's a good place where all the available patches
> are listed. I've tried already to mention it in another mail: There's
> a needed dependency to gnome-menus2, and Alacarte is written in Python
> with corresponding Python/C bindings. Not only that, Fedora has a
> dependency to gnome-panel that will invent between half to all the
> Gnome3 stuff, WTF? I can not say anything about Xubuntu.
> When you look into the source of Alacarte, you can see that this
> library is used for nearly the whole of the data structures used
> internally by alacarte to cache the menu structure. To port it to xfce
> only, this will then mean to rewrite the whole backend. You then reuse
> only the GUI, which is one single Glade file without any functionality.
> There are no Python bindings for garcon available, so far. PyXfce seems
> to be dead, and it has only something for libxfce4menu that is also
> dead (due to replaced by garcon).
You're right I forgot it was written in Python. My bad.

I guess I was talking about myself without realizing it (a newbie about
XDG stuff and Xfce - even if I use mainly Archlinux - who really wants
to contribute but has no time and try to make some) when I said it would
be a good starting point. ;-)

About Xubuntu, they replaced all the gnome dependencies with garcon/xfce
dependencies (same thing for the AUR version, it seems, as it did not
install any gnome dependency either).