Menu Editor

Maximilien Noal noal.maximilien at gmail.com
Wed May 2 19:14:43 CEST 2012

On 05/02/2012 03:00 PM, Nick Schermer wrote:
> Same
> for alacarte, however, alacart does not respect the XDG_MENU_PREFIX spec
> (well gnome-menus doesn't). Anyway, a menu editor is probably a goal for
> 4.12 anyway.

Hello,

If one has to make an "official" menu editor for Xfce, I think that
alacarte-xfce [1] will be a good starting point, instead of starting
from scratch. Xubuntu 12.04 shipped it too (seems to me that they used
the same set of patches or a similar one).

It works flawlessly from my user point of view, but I was told by the/a
Xubuntu maintainer that it had still some weird bugs (I quote : "it
tends to copy categories, menues, and .desktop files in ~/.config/cache
even when they are not being modified" [2])and was more or less
unmaintained upstream.

As an alternative, there is lxmed. I used lxmed before, but it left my
menu borked, and if I recall correctly it needed a JRE..

[2] http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?pid=8900991#p8900991 (watch
out! The second link is in french)

Just my 2 cents. ;-)

> Nick