Gtk3 for Xfce 4.12?

Mark Trompell mark at foresightlinux.org
Wed May 2 11:38:56 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Nick Schermer <nick at xfce.org> wrote:
> Devs,

Okay, I'm not really a dev, but...

> Now 4.10 is out in the wild, it is time to look at the 4.12 roadmap and a
> part of that discussion is whether we want to port Xfce to gtk3.

... from my package maintainers view I would say, please do so, in the
long term it's inevitable, anyway.
And as time goes by more applications will be ported to gtk3 and some
of them are throwing away gtk2 compatibility quite quick.

> The API (or lack of it) is not a problem I guess, since I think most of code
> compiles with deprecations disabled.
>
> Theming? Not really my thing but I guess a couple of people can tell which
> version of 3.x we require for good theming (read: equal to gtk2). Is this
> even possible?

As more applications are using gtk3 and get shipped using gtk3 they
need gtk3 theming anyway.
So if you can't make gtk2 and gtk3 look the same you will have
differences anyway.

> Plugins: porting will be a lot of work in the core modules, not too much for
> panel plugins, but this this needs to be done.
>
> Anything else? Serve performance hits we know about?

not more than the usually rumours you hear after every release (yet).

> The porting should happen in branches until at least all of core works with
> gtk3. But that is something we can decide once we made a decision.
>
> Nick

Mark

--
Mark Trompell

Foresight Linux Xfce Edition
Cause your desktop should be freaking cool
(and Xfce)