[Goodies-dev] http://archive.xfce.org/geolocation

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Thu Jul 12 16:01:06 CEST 2012

Am 12.07.2012 14:55, schrieb Yves-Alexis Perez:
> On jeu., 2012-07-12 at 13:13 +0200, Harald Judt wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm investigating the use of geolocation auto-detection by IP-address of
>> xfce4-weather-plugin, and here's the result of the HTTP request:
>>
>> http://archive.xfce.org/geolocation
>>
>> <Response>
>>     <Ip>208.115.113.90</Ip>
>>     <CountryCode>US</CountryCode>
>>     <CountryName>United States</CountryName>
>>     <RegionCode>WA</RegionCode>
>>     <RegionName>Washington</RegionName>
>>     <RegionName>206</RegionName>
>>     <City>Seattle</City>
>>     <Latitude>47.489101</Latitude>
>>     <Longitude>-122.290802</Longitude>
>> </Response>
>
> I think it's a static page.

No, it's not. When I'm accessing it from another location, I get

<Response>
   <Ip>2.12.178.200</Ip>
   <CountryCode>FR</CountryCode>
   <CountryName>France</CountryName>
   <RegionCode>A2</RegionCode>
   <RegionName>Bretagne</RegionName>
   <RegionName>0</RegionName>
   <City>Muzillac</City>
   <Latitude>48.983299</Latitude>
   <Longitude>14.466700</Longitude>
</Response>

But then, it may not be dependent on the location at all and just
generate random stuff.

[...]

>> In fact, I haven't got one usable result yet. Do I need extra parameters?
>>
>>   From weather-search.c:
>>     /* archive.xfce.org is our download server that runs mod_geoip
>>      * with the www.maxmind.com database */
>>     weather_http_receive_data ("archive.xfce.org", "/geolocation",
>>                                proxy_host, proxy_port,
>>                                cb_geolocation, data);

[...]

> Are you sure this is really a geolocation service? I don't remember
> anything about that.

According to the source code it should be. Also, it provides location
data, unfortunately not the right one.

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'