http://archive.xfce.org/geolocation

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Thu Jul 12 13:13:37 CEST 2012

Hi guys,

I'm investigating the use of geolocation auto-detection by IP-address of
xfce4-weather-plugin, and here's the result of the HTTP request:

http://archive.xfce.org/geolocation

<Response>
   <Ip>208.115.113.90</Ip>
   <CountryCode>US</CountryCode>
   <CountryName>United States</CountryName>
   <RegionCode>WA</RegionCode>
   <RegionName>Washington</RegionName>
   <RegionName>206</RegionName>
   <City>Seattle</City>
   <Latitude>47.489101</Latitude>
   <Longitude>-122.290802</Longitude>
</Response>

That's far, far, far away from me and not my IP. Where does it get that
IP from?

In fact, I haven't got one usable result yet. Do I need extra parameters?

 From weather-search.c:
   /* archive.xfce.org is our download server that runs mod_geoip
    * with the www.maxmind.com database */
   weather_http_receive_data ("archive.xfce.org", "/geolocation",
                              proxy_host, proxy_port,
                              cb_geolocation, data);

Now this one works fine:
http://www.maxmind.com/app/locate_my_ip

And to be sure I've tried another one and it works correctly too:
http://www.geoiptool.com

Only archive.xfce.org does not. Is this service still supported /
maintained? If so, can someone please look at it and fix it?

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'