Proposal for MIME type editor

Jérôme Guelfucci jeromeg at xfce.org
Sun Jan 29 09:35:57 CET 2012

On 28/01/12 22:27, Nick Schermer wrote:
> The normal way it double-click or pressing space/enter. That will
> popup the application select dialog.
>
> I'll look if I can implement right-click, but I doubt it since I have
> hardly any control over renderer events...
>
> Nick

Hello,

First, I want to say: very nice work! I like the fact that you made it
look like the Firefox UI, it brings some consistency in the Desktop.

I agree though that this interface could be more obvious: maybe a good
first step would be changing the mouse cursor to a hand in the last
column as when hovering a link. That way people would see it's left
clickable.

A second step which would make more obvious what actions are allowed
would be to add some buttons to the bottom of the dialog: choose
application, reset to defaults.

Maybe an "Add" button to create MIME type associations could also find
its place here? I don't know if it's possible with the current API but
it would make sense in this dialog. A lot of Java bundles available on
the Internet are not installable and one has to create MIME associations
by hand with XML syntax.

A last solution would be to reproduce 100% the Firefox UI which packs a
combobox in the treeview, I don't if we can do the same thing but this
would solve the issue in a very clean way.

Regards,

Jérôme