nick/settings-manager needs testing

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Wed Jan 25 14:43:00 CET 2012

Hey,

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 13:31:17 +0100, Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Last evening I've pushed the category-based settings dialog. Maybe
> some folks can give it a shot.
>
> Big changes:
> - Category-based.
> - Uses Garcon for items
> - Pluggable dialogs by default (you can't disable it).

Yay, I like all three points! Things I noticed:

* most of the items are in the "Other" category on this machine,
  even with latest garcon from master installed. I wonder whether
  that is expected behavior (haven't looked into it in detail yet)?

* when navigating to non-visible items with the keyboard, the settings
  manager does not scroll to make them visible automatically

* in the demo app you posted on IRC on Sunday, the active item had a
  selection box around the icon and label, which I think was due to
  GtkIconView; with ExoIconView the icon/labels each have their own
  small selection box. Can we somehow make it look like with a
  GtkIconView? I thought that looked really good!

* Like I mentioned on IRC the other day, I think we should move the
  "<= All Settings" button between the header and content, and add
  a filter entry like we have in the MIME editor. Categories take
  up more vertical space, which will cause some items to be out of
  the visible range on many machines. Also, if we allow more items
  than just our own dialogs to show up in the settings manager, the
  number will quickly become large enough to justify a filter.

* I wonder if the category titles are prominent enough visually.
  Maybe we can indicate the hierarchy in a stronger way, e.g. by
  using expanders (which will show an arrow and allow to collapse
  categories---perhaps permanently?). One alternative could be to
  render a horizontal separator below the titles, I think that's
  how KDE does it.

> Todo:
> - Need to restore the --dialog option.
> - Maybe I add middle click to open-without-pluggable.

Yep, middle click to launch standalone dialogs sounds sensible and
is consistent with the behavior of thunar.

  - Jannis