Categories=XFCE; ?

Auke Kok auke at foo-projects.org
Tue Apr 3 10:07:26 CEST 2012

On 04/03/2012 12:07 AM, Nick Schermer wrote:
> On 2012-04-03 08:24, Auke Kok wrote:

>>> I invented it and see no problems.
>>
>> I'm sure you didn't invent the spec :)
>>
>> the spec is the spec, correct or not, and Xfce should be referred as
>> "X-XFCE" in all desktop file categories, according to it.
>>
>> So, you can invent stuff, but it's not according to the spec, unless
>> you submit a proposal for modification to the spec and it gets
>> accepted.
>
> Well then it is discrimination because there are also GNOME and KDE
> categories. I really don't see where all the fuzz is about, because
> nothing breaks if you add unknown names in categories.
>
> I'll drop the category and let's all obey the broken world of mr Untz
> (and his useless desktop-file-validate tool). But if he has balls he
> agrees the desktop-categories are useless and they remove GNOME and KDE
> from the spec.

Which is also an entirely valid response... The tool itself is
inhibitive to adoption of more generally accepted standard desktops,
therefore, one can ignore it (which we did for MeeGo as well anyway).

Even the X- prefix is outdated, as nothing specifies that it refers to
"Xorg" or not. And wayland-based UI's are already in existance... W-XFCE?

:)

Auke