Decoupling gnome-keyring initialization from GNOME compatibility mode

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Fri Sep 30 12:24:46 CEST 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 02:24, Guido Berhoerster <gber at opensuse.org> wrote:

> Am I overlooking something or is GNOME compat mode mostly
> useless, and in fact does more harm than good, with the exception
> of gnome-keyring startup?

That's probably an accurate assessment.

> Useful features for future GNOME compatibility I can think of
> would be to support GNOME's autostart phases and parts of the
> org.gnome.SessionManager DBus interface (as suggested by Brian).
> Autostart files with "OnlyShowIn=GNOME;" should also not be used,
> rather those services compatible to Xfce sould be explicitly
> marked "OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Xfce;" (by upstream/distros) anyway which
> allows users to enable/disable them through
> xfce4-session-settings "Application Autostart" editor. This would
> basically remove the need for a "GNOME compatibility mode" which
> has to be explicitly enabled by users.

So in other words, we should really just drop GNOME compat mode
entirely, add GNOME's session manager dbus interface and some support
for autostart phases, and get Xfce-useful apps that are OnlyShowIn'd
to GNOME fixed upstream to be our friends :).

Actually that last bit is maybe not even necessary: we could treat
OnlyShowIn not including Xfce similarly as we do Hidden=true, and that
would just allow them to be disabled by default but re-enable-able by
the user via autostart settings.

     -b