Decoupling gnome-keyring initialization from GNOME compatibility mode

Guido Berhoerster gber at opensuse.org
Thu Sep 29 11:19:46 CEST 2011

* Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at debian.org> [2011-09-29 07:39]:
> On mar., 2011-09-27 at 14:58 +0200, Guido Berhoerster wrote:
> > the other one is allowing
> > users to only enable gnome-keyring without all the other GNOME
> > services.
>
> Note that here (on Debian) gnome-keyring is started correctly even
> though GNOME compatibility mode is disabled, because (I think) it's
> started through PAM:
>
> auth    optional        pam_gnome_keyring.so
>
> I'm not sure if openSUSE uses pam and if it's a suitable solution, but
> if it helps...

Yes, we use that as well but it is not sufficient, after starting
and unlocking gnome-keyring via PAM module the components to be
used need to be initialized and the environment variables need to
be passed to the session (either via DBus or by reading them from
stdout), see https://live.gnome.org/GnomeKeyring/RunningDaemon.
The latter could be done via the session wrapper scripts as Brian
has suggested, however that still leaves the problem that there
is no UI to enable/disable it. If it really works without GNOME
copat mode I'd be interested in how Debian solves that.

--
Guido Berhoerster