Power management in Xfce 4.10

Andrzej ndrwrdck at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 29 18:44:07 CEST 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 1:01 AM, Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The initial idea was to move everything to xfce4-power-manager and let
>>> xfce4-session make calls over d-bus, however not such a good idea.
>>
>> Why not? This sounds like a nice and clean design. Splitting a set of rather
>> closely related interfaces across two services seems less coherent in
>> comparison (two services to talk to, with possible overlap of functionality
>> and implementation). I'm just curious - I know absolutely nothing about the
>> problem.
>
> Like I said in the first mail: for logout, shutdown and reboot (ie.
> closing X), there is session saving involved.

Sorry, I missed that part of your explanation.

I still don't see anything fundamentally wrong with calling
"Xfce4-session.saveSession()" from Xfce4-power-manager, though. This
way the power manager would manage power and xfce4-session would deal
with the session related stuff.

I'm nitpicking, I know. There is a lot more going on underneath and
practical reasons (like implementation effort) might be more important
here than encapsulation. Just sharing my opinion.

Andrzej