GTK+ 3

dE . de.techno at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 18:55:11 CEST 2011

Hi.

Hello devs, great job with the DE. I'd been personally used the DE for a
year and now I'm thinking of replacing Gnome with it for deployment.

First I'd like to write what I think people think about xfce after Gnome
3 arrived. People don't see Xfce as a light weight DE anymore, they see
it as a mainstream DE, a replacement of Gnome 2 which I think has
started to deprecate (someday it will); the lightweight section has been
replaced with lxde; Even Linus announced, he's quitting Gnome in favor
of Xfce.

So I suggest the Xfce project should change it's goal towards being a
lightweight DE to a mainstream DE -- i.e. more feature rich but it's
main objective should be  being user friendly and retaining the classic
desktop to avoid migration cost and retraining. At this time, this's
what people expect from Xfce. Around release of Gnome 3, searches for
xfce has been increasing -

http://www.google.com/trends?q=xfce

People searching for gnome and xfce together means they're trying to
migrate -

http://www.google.com/trends?q=xfce+gnome&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all
<http://www.google.com/trends?q=xfce+gnome&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all>

It'll continue to increase but only if xfce does what people expect it
to do -- be the mainstream.

My main question was -- what about GTK 3 migration? It has to be done
someday.