Mousepad Improvements

Matthew Brush mbrush at codebrainz.ca
Sun Oct 2 08:59:05 CEST 2011

On 11-10-01 11:25 PM, Nick Schermer wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Matthew Brush<mbrush at codebrainz.ca>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think people would tend to use Mousepad for heavy code
>>> development, but when performing one-shot modifications to some files
>>> a bit of highlighting may be nice.
>>>

>> I think it's a basic feature that most Linux users expect from even the most
>> minimal editor...even the "nano" editor has syntax highlighting.
>
> We lets put it in a realistic way then. Fact is that the nick_0_3
> mousepad branch is a lot better then the code in master. It has some

Absolutely agree with this.  I've looked quite a bit at the code in
master and it's certainly not great, I might even agree it's not worth
fixing[1].  I only briefly glanced at the nick_0_3 branch, and the code
looks quite nice from what I saw.

> My biggest concern is startup speed when gtksourceview is used, if

The only thing I can think of that would cause any noticeable startup
delay would be the loading of language specs and color schemes from
disk.  I'm not sure if this is done at startup or some other time (like
calls to style/language managers).

> this is not that much of an issue, it will strip a lot of code from
> the current code base (undo/redo, view options like line numbers etc)
> which is always nice.

+1. Those have a lot of hairy code too :)

> I've no idea how good you (Matthew) are in writing code, but maybe we
> can find a mutual agreement nick_0_3 will get syntax highlighting and
> the last rough edges will be removed so it gets ready for master.

When I get some time I will get nick_0_3 building here and explore it to
understand what kind of work is needed.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush

[1] Though the Leafpad code has improved quite a bit since what's in
Mousepad master, so it seems.