Question about the WNCK dependency (pager)

Andrzej ndrwrdck at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 27 16:12:50 CET 2011

On 11/27/2011 11:08 PM, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:

>> 2) Can we simply ship a modified "pager.c" file from the libwnck with
>> our code? We could switch back to the upstream version when we move to
>> Gtk-3.
[...]
> Wasn't there already a fork of wnck in Xfce, which we dropped recently?
> Embedded code is usually a bad idea for maintainance and security
> reasons, so if there's another solution, imho, it's best.

Yves, I'm not proposing forking the whole wnck in xfce - that would
indeed cause maintenance problems. I just want to tweak one of its
widgets - the pager. Unfortunately, I can't just inherit from it and
change a couple of functions because most of the interesting knobs are
in private variables. OTOH, relying on the upstream to fix it, means
waiting a year or two for some slower distributions to pick up the code
(and that's assuming we can push all our ideas through). That will be
the case every single time we want to change something in this widget.

I'm in favor of bringing this single component into the XFCE code base.
If anything, it will reduce the maintenance burden.

Of course, the decision belongs to you guys, and since it looks like
there is a disagreement, I'll wait for this discussion to settle before
doing any further work.

Andrzej