Text orientation in vertical panels

Andrzej ndrwrdck at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 23 15:50:51 CET 2011

On 11/23/2011 10:07 PM, Simon Steinbeiß wrote:

> For me (being a simple user) the main point of rotated text is to save screen estate, because the panel can get really wide in no time.
> The row-option in your panel seems like a nice way to cope with having a vertical panel and only one-icon-per-row.

OK. I'll try to improve the rotated vertical panel mode then.

I actually like your idea of having both rotated left and right modes. I
can even go ahead and implement it (1) in the panel and "base" plugins.
My only concern is that all the 3rd party plugins would have to be
modified to support 4 different orientations. That's quite a burden on
their authors.

1) The way I want to represent this concept in the gui is having a radio
button which can select between:

"Direction of labels: ( ) Rotated left ( ) Horizontal (x) Rotated right"

just below the combo box for selecting the panel orientation.

It may take some time to implement it so I'll come back here with some
results later. As you noticed it's hard to judge which solution looks
and feels best by just talking about it (without playing with a prototype).

Another question is if, and to what extend, these changes could found
their way into the upstream repository. I'm now venturing beyond my own
needs (a deskbar mode) so I'd prefer to know if there is a real demand
for these features (both from users and maintainers).

Cheers,

Andrzej