Gtk3 port: xfce5 - [Was: Xfce 4.10 release situation]

Stephan Arts stephan at xfce.org
Sun Nov 20 00:34:03 CET 2011

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org> wrote:
>> Completely unrelated, but if the bump from xfce 2 -> 3 was the port of
>> xforms to gtk1, and the bump from 3 -> 4 was the port to gtk2,
>> shouldn't we consider post 4.10 to be called xfce 5.0?
>
> Not really, each of the version bump was because of the partial or
> complete rewrite of the core components, which I do not expect in 4.12

Okay, makes sense.

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
> No. This will just scare people off and make them think we are going
> for a big change (like GNOME 2 -> 3) which we really aren't. We're just
> switching to another version of a dependency, that's all.

Valid argument (except for the scaring off bit, life is full of
unexpected situations, if people get scared from a version-number they
need to grow up and should not be allowed to walk around the 'real
world' without adult supervision)

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not to mention the (lib)?xfce4* renames..
>
> Nick

That concludes it, a port to Gtk+ 3 is no reason to bump the version
number to 5.0.

The xfce version after 4.10 will be versioned 4.12. ^_^

-
Stephan