Xfce 4.10 release situation

Andrzej ndrwrdck at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 18 15:42:09 CET 2011

On 11/18/2011 10:54 PM, Natanael Copa wrote:

> Oh, Ubuntu will do a LTS in april 2012. I don't think a long time
> support release with gtk2 is a good idea.

Natanael, the roadmap (http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.10/roadmap) is
pretty clear about porting to Gtk3 after 4.10.

Personally, I'd rather polish the existing (Gtk2) code rather than
release a version that has been hurriedly ported to Gtk3. LTS is not
about getting latest and greatest features.

I'd go for porting only if it was absolutely necessary - that is, if
hard dependencies were incompatible with Gtk3 (not just unsupported).

>> So, what do you think?
>
> I am in favor for dropping features to get 4.10 out soon.

I'm all for releasing something good in March and making Gtk3 the main
(the only?) feature of a 4.12 release.

Andrzej