Copied panel and plugin properties

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 17:52:16 CET 2011

2011/11/15 Andrzej <ndrwrdck at googlemail.com>:
> On 15/11/2011 16:41, Nick Schermer wrote:
>>
>> I think we can do better if we implement this at a plugin level, but
>> I'll try your code and see how it works.
>

> BTW, there also might be some other code partitioning decisions to
> reconsider.
>
> I noticed that many of panel and plug-in properties are duplicated. They
> (size, orientation, and now nrows and deskbar-mode) are currently copied
> from the panel to all the plug-ins (and vice versa). There is also a whole
> system of notifications in place just to keep all these copies in sync. Why
> don't plugins simply query panel object properties when they need them?

(not sure where the discussion started.)

I can only think of one place where code is usually the same, it's for
a button inside the panel. There has been the introduction of
XfcePanelImage which makes it possible to drop orientation/size
callbacks.

So that's already resolved, existing panel plugins may now be ported
to Xfce 4.8 and use XfcePanelImage in order to reduce some redundant
code.

> Andrzej

Mike