Removal of the location button

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Mon Nov 7 16:18:39 CET 2011

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 13:14:16 +0100
Harald Judt <h.judt at gmx.at> wrote:

> Am 07.11.2011 12:48, schrieb Matt x:
> > On 11/06/2011 06:39 PM, Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> I'm considering to drop the button right next to the location
> >> entry in Thunar. Here's a screenshot with this button highlighted
> >> in red:
> >>
> >> http://mocha.xfce.org/~jannis/screenshots/xfce/thunar-location-button-20111107.png
> >>

> >> This button is supposed to show all volumes and bookmarks (so,
> >> whatever is visible in the shortcuts side pane as well). Does
> >> anyone care deeply about it or can I remove it without hurting the
> >> efficiency of anyone's workflow?
> >>
> >> Reasons for the removal:
> >>
> >> * It's not that useful. All the items also show up in the side
> >> pane.
> >
> > I don't care much for the side pane, and I use the location button.
>
> How about moving this to the home button then? That is, extending the
> home button with a drop down list like the back and next buttons.

Actually, the back/forward buttons are also something I would like to
change. The extra drop down buttons look a bit cluttered IMHO and I'm
thinking about dropping them and making the main back/forward buttons
pop up a history menu instead when pressed for a longer period of time.

This would be similar to what Firefox does and it saves some horizontal
space as well.

Anyway, this is getting a little off-topic. Home button is for $HOME,
not for browsing volumes or bookmarks, so I'd rather not move the
location button menu there.

  - Jannis