Patch for "Open Terminal Here" keyboard shortcut

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Mon Nov 7 02:12:35 CET 2011

On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 21:09:37 +0530
Jogy Antony <simula67 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am new to the open source world. I have made a patch to add a
> shortcut key to "Open Terminal Here" to be integrated with Thunar.
> This is a popular request. See
>
> http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=3885
> http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=4703
> http://www.linuxformat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=74240
>
> I am sorry, it is a little bit of a hack. Would it be possible for me
> to get it integrated to XFCE ?

Not like this, no. I'm reluctant to hard code terminal-related into
Thunar. Regular users (whatever that is in these diverse times) should
not be bothered with things like that.

What we could do, however, is to make custom actions like "Open in
terminal" appear in the "File" menu of the window. Right now, the
"File" menu is very basic, but all items that show up there can
automatically be assigned custom shortcuts.

That way we'd avoid re-implementing the spawn code PLUS we'd also make
custom actions available for the current directory in all situations
(unlike at the moment, where users have no real way to get to the
context menu when using the details view, see e.g. bug #3386).

Does that sound fair?

  - Jannis