XFCE design SIG: Thunar: "Redesign of the Shortcuts Pane", ideas and comments

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Tue May 31 19:59:35 CEST 2011

Hi,

Here are some comments on and ideas for the redesign, not in any
specific order:

I'd go for the example using no custom widgets, as from all the
proposals, I like it best.

* I've never attached more than 4 devices to the computer at one time.
External hard drives with multiple partitions might make a difference;
Maybe the partitions of a hard drive should be made a separate level of
the tree then, or color-coded?

> If e.g. “Devices” is collapsed but the user inserts some removable
> media, the header of the collapsed section should give some feedback
> of the new device (Jannis proposed blinking) (Simon Steinbeiß)

Absolutely good idea. Or (unintrusively) change the background color.

> But since the nodes aren't really like links (even though I agree
> you could argue the opposite here as well) I think the hand is
> misleading. To me they're more like folders and folders don't
> need/have much prelight. (Simon Steinbeiß)

Although I like the idea very much, I agree the "hand" cursor would look
strange here, but maybe another cursor or not changing the cursor at all
would be good enough? In any case, another thing is missing compared to
current thunar: The bookmark indicates you clicked on it, and what you
see in the standard view now reflects its contents. On the other hand,
thunar doesn't have any action for hovering over the item.

* Give the category headers an additional purpose:
   Example: When the user clicks on "Devices", a list of devices is
shown like files and folders in the standard view, similar to
computer:///. There, a color-coded progress bar (green, yellow, red)
indicates occupied and free space, like Windows 7 explorer does in
"Computer". Of course, it could show other useful device information
too. The item could be treated like the corresponding item in the
shortcuts pane (mount, eject,...). Optionally, the special view could
have a different (grey like the shortcut-pane's) background, to indicate
that it is special.
   Example: When the user clicks on "Places", a list of places is shown
in the standard view, along with how much space they occupy, etc.

* Will the places section be configurable? That is, will it replace the
bookmarks functionality of the current side-panel? There shouldn't be
any things in there the user doesn't need or want, and the user should
be free to adjust the order as he or she wants. In particular, thunar
should not delete bookmarks when the resources cannot be found, because
it might be on a device the user works with regularly but which is not
available all the time.

* How about enabling custom actions for devices or certain types of
devices? Use-case: Formatting an USB stick or an optical disc.

* I don't know if this belongs to this specific proposal, but since I've
seen it on the wiki page: How are samba shares different from network
resources? Will they be handled in a different way? Do they use
/etc/fstab? Maybe there's a better, general name than the technical term
"Samba Shares"? Or wouldn't it better qualify as a subcategory of
network, if an own category is needed at all?

> Archives or iso-images make sense as part of the devices, if the
> feature lands in thunar, I guess this is how it should look/work
(Simon Steinbeiß)

ISOs mounted via loop device are already shown in the bookmarks pane, so
there may not be so much left to do ;-)

I hope this is a bit helpful and of interest to you.

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'