[Thunar-dev] Proper way to determine the type of a file more accurate than thunar_file_get_content_type()

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Wed May 11 11:59:20 CEST 2011

Hey,

On Wed, 11 May 2011 09:33:14 +0200
Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is libgmagic, google return almost no hits... I personally think
> this is a bit overkill to fix a bug (which also makes it impossible
> the apply the fix in 4.8 as well).
>
> The patch to check the exact content type you attached on the bug
> seems reasonable, I'll take a look at this.
>
> Nick
>
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Hubert Hesse
> <xfce at hubertscorner.de> wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > sorry to bother you again. Can you give me an answer to my question
> > whether I can introduce libgmagic to determine the types of files
> > directly? Or is there a better way to this?

If the result from g_file_get_content_type() is wrong than GIO should
be fixed. If GdkPixbuf is at fault then try fixing it there. But it
doesn't seem to be a bug in Thunar, so introducing additional libraries
to fix this in Thunar is wrong. We can add simple workarounds of
course, but the real fix should be made in the software that is buggy.

  - Jannis