reduce icons in icon chooser dialog

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 17:32:42 CEST 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 23:27:57 +0200
> Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 11:11 PM, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org>
>> wrote:

>> > Am I wrong here or does this also mean that some icon names will
>> > simply disappear? That might make some people wonder why icons they
>> > have been using before are missing out of a sudden.
>>
>> Indeed they do disappear. I could show in a tooltip which other
>> icon-names the icon represents, but I don't think people care about
>> names _that_ much, however, seeing the same icon a couple of times in
>> the same view (some up to 6 times and a steady reduction of ~50%) is
>> also confusing.
>
> I usually use the type-ahead feature to find the icon I want to use.
> There of course, names are very important. But as a developer myself I
> know more about the icon naming schemes etc. than the regular user
> does (maybe they don't even know about type-ahead search), so for
> others this feature might not be as important.

Type-ahead search also searches the "alternative" names, so if you
type "xfce-filemanager", "file-manager" is filtered.

>> > Also, the inconsistency issue (in particular across different
>> > themes) that you describe in your other mail makes me think that
>> > this either needs more thought or that we maybe shouldn't do it.
>> > But then again, I haven't looked into it deeply enough to have a
>> > strong opinion to bring to the table.
>>
>> If we use more spec icon-names, the problem becomes less and less
>> visible. It could be possible to add a checkbox "hide duplicate
>> icons", but personally that will only confuse more.
>
> True. Keep in mind however that the icon naming spec includes only the
> basic icon names. I assume that there will be more and more
> non-standard icon names again in the future because the icon naming
> spec maintainer(s) are rather reluctant to standardize new ones.

The code looks for symlinks, it has nothing to do with the spec, but
the fact it that the spec-name is the real file and alternative names
are symlinks to this file. So other icons will still show because they
are real image files.

Nick