reduce icons in icon chooser dialog

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sun Mar 27 23:11:47 CEST 2011

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 16:38:14 +0200
Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bump
>
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Nick Schermer
> <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I've just pushed a branch to exo that excludes the 'symlink' icons
> > in a theme from the icon view. On the common themes (Gnome,Tango)
> > this reduces the number of icons with ~50% (ie. 50% of the icons are
> > symlinks to real files) and you only see each image once. The
> > symlink names are stored internally, so when you open the chooser
> > for a desktop files with "xfce4-settings" as icon name,
> > "preferences-desktop" is selected.
> >
> > Downside of this is that "preferences-desktop" is returned when you
> > click ok and xfce4-settings is lost (I could fix that behaviour, but
> > you get the point; spec names are set in those cases).
> >
> > Upside, less icons to scroll, and probably (no proof here) much
> > faster; because even though the code pokes the files to check if
> > they are symlinks, nothing is worse for performance then rendering
> > images.

Am I wrong here or does this also mean that some icon names will simply
disappear? That might make some people wonder why icons they have been
using before are missing out of a sudden.

Also, the inconsistency issue (in particular across different themes)
that you describe in your other mail makes me think that this either
needs more thought or that we maybe shouldn't do it. But then again, I
haven't looked into it deeply enough to have a strong opinion to bring
to the table.

  - Jannis