reduce icons in icon chooser dialog

Fabian Nowak timystery at arcor.de
Sun Mar 27 20:51:27 CEST 2011

Am Sonntag, den 27.03.2011, 20:00 +0200 schrieb Nick Schermer:
> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 7:37 PM, Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Bump

> > Hi Nick,
> >
> > Sounds like a good plan, I see no down-side to this approach. The file
> > needs to be poked one way or another, at least this way you save on
> > memory-allocations and rendering-times. - That it cleans up the UI is
> > just another advantage.
>
> True, but another downside I explained in the first mail, is that it
> has the potential to 'loose' the original icon name:
>
> - So if you start with xfce4-settings as icon-name and tango as icon theme.
> - Edit icon -> preferences-desktop is selected because xfce4-settings
> is a symlink to preferences-desktop -> ok, preferences-desktop is
> returned by the icon chooser (so in the desktop file xfce4-settings is
> lost, with no visible interface change).
> - Switch to another theme that has a different looking icon for
> xfce4-settings (ie, no symlink to preferences-desktop), the user might
> expect that icon, but instead preferences-desktop is shown, the old
> icon-name is lost.
>
> I could partly work around this:
> - If ok is pressed, check if the original icon name is a symlink/alias
> to the 'selected' icon name, if so, return the old name. That should
> work around the peek-and-click-ok icon-name loose problem.

While I think this is a good idea to show less icons (actually so
trivial that one wonders why noone thought of that before), I would like
to bring into game the possibility of simply specifying icons by direct
text like in xfce4 panel 4.4. so this also somehow alleviates the
symlink/hardfile problem and is in most cases much quicker for the user
(think of simply typing "firefox" rather than click-type some
letters-scroll-ok).

fabian