Rename Terminal to xfce4-terminal

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 23 18:57:55 CEST 2011

Am Mittwoch, den 22.06.2011, 08:43 +0200 schrieb Nick Schermer:
> Folks,
>
> In Fedora it was suggested to rename the Name key from Terminal to
> "Xfce Terminal".

Please note that there is no agreement on this in Fedora.

> I agree with this change since its not easy to
> distinguish terminals in the menu (the exo preferred one and the
> normal terminal as a start).
>
> However the terminal name is also a bit unfortunate and I'm
> considering to rename the whole thing to xfce4-terminal.

I would like to see the binary renamed but not the menu entry. If we
start with this sooner or later we will have lot of menu entries that
are everything but intuitive: "{GNOME,KDE,LXDE,Xfce} {Address
Book,Archive Manager,Calculator,Calendar,File Manager,Terminal}"

Users who have more than one file manager/terminal/whatever installed
are the minority but the majority will have to live with blown-up names.
I don't think this is the right approach and a step forward for the
Linux desktop, regardless of what DE you use. We should rather go for
OnlyShowIn. Or just do nothing because I really consider this a corner
case.

Regards,
Christoph