An idea for the menu

Pedro Ferreira darkiiiiii at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 16:13:19 CEST 2011

Hey, so I've been thinking of something that would be a pretty useful thing
to have in xfce, I don't know if this has been brought up before, but
anyway, here it is.

The idea is to be able to search in the menu (ok, not the most impressive
idea in the world :p - others have done it).

Basically you would open the menu, and have the normal lists plus an input
element, which would gain focus, so that if you started writing, it would
clear the menu and bring the results of the search.
Clicking for example the Esc key, would cancel the search, and bring back
the lists of the menu.

I've searched the plugins in xfce and I found one (linelight) which have
more or less the same idea (but it doesn't seem to work that well). That
program uses the locate command, which it could be also used here, so that
it doesn't add too much complexity (I don't have much experience with it
though, so I could be wrong).

There could be some options to limit the results:
- only show applications (from the PATH?) - similar to application finder
- applications + folders (you could select which folders to search, and the
depth within that folder)
- applications + folders + files (everything basically... but probably less
useful, unless you had some limitations of the folders, like above)
So, what do you think?