Xfce 4.10 entering planning phase

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 13:29:21 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 11:48:56 +0100
> Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Yves-Alexis Perez
>> <corsac at debian.org> wrote:

>> > Squeeze will have Glib 2.24.2 and GTK+ 2.20.1. Wheezy should have at
>> > least GTK+ 2.24 and maybe 2.26.
>>
>> Well then I'd say we go with the following:
>>
>> Gtk 2.20 (in squeeze, released in may 2010, will be ~2 years old when
>> 4.10 hits the streets)
>> Glib 2.24 (same as above)
>> Cairo 1.6 (Gtk 2.20 dep)
>> Wnck 2.30, doesn't matter only translation updates since 2.22 (2.30 is
>> releases at same time as Gtk 2.20 and in squeeze).
>> Dbus-glib 0.84 (Glib 2.26 has GDBus tho, but that's too new. 0.84 is
>> released in same period as Gtk 2.20, squeeze has 0.88, quite a bunch
>> of bugfixes since 0.72 which was the 4.8 dep).
>>
>> Anyone against this?
>
> No, I think that is a sane choice. I have to admit however that I don't
> really recall what in 2.24 and 2.26 we could benefit from, so maybe
> there's stuff in 2.26 that would be really, really useful. But I doubt
> there's anything we can't live without.

Most important stuff in 2.26 libs:
GIO: GDBus (dbus-glib replacement), GSettings (possible condidate for xfconf)
GObject: GBinding (ExoBindings), variant types for GSettings
Glib: some date and timezone stuff.

I think we're fine with xfconf/dbus and exo, so I see no reason to use
that from glib, our implementations have no known bugs (nothing
against exo and xfconf afaik), so we will most likely only introduce
new ones. Bester do this with the gtk3 switch so we can directly drop
the current implementation from the libraries too.

Nick