Xfce 4.10 entering planning phase

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Tue Jan 25 12:56:13 CET 2011

Hey,

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 09:23:47 +0100
Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org>
> wrote:
> > Today 4.10 enters the planning phase, which means that until
> > 2011-01-31 (or until 2011-02-13 if this is not enough time) we will
> > have to do the following:
>
> We go with 13 feb, 1 week after fosdem to update the pages.
>
> >  1. Decide who's in the release team and who takes which job.
>
> I'm fine with being the release manager, but since I'm highly
> incapable of writing announcements, someone else is going to do that
> ;-). Personally, I'd prefer it the way it was in 4.8; I do most of the
> package releases, Jannis writes announcement, Jerome/me updates the
> website. Even how busy people are, that never took more then 2 hours
> in total, so I doubt that will be a problem if we continue that way,
> since that only occurs only 4 times a year max (taking the average of
> the last 4 years).

I too think the work was well shared in the 4.8 cycle. I can help with
the announcements of course. So, since nobody else raised their hands,
let's make it

Release Manager: Nick
Release Assistants: Jérôme, Yves-Alexis, Jannis
QA Official: Jannis (not real work anyway)

> >   4. Decide which components to remove from Xfce core and discuss
> >      whether there's anything we want to take into the core from now
> >      on.
>
> I'd say move gui4/4menu/thunar-vfs to /archive. In /lib means they
> need bugs fixes too. I'd prefer to have garcon, volman and tumbler in
> core.

I'd be fine with moving libxfce4menu to archive today. But I think we
should wait with gui4 and thunar-vfs until 4.10. Not because we'll
maintain them but because they were part of the 4.8 release which is
now the latest stable release. 4menu was only part of 4.6 which we no
longer seriously maintain.

> >   5. Discuss how long we want this cycle to be, eight months being
> > the minimum.
>
> Release 4.10 in a year, also in januari. The release model allows us
> to make devel releases whenever we want and if we make
> regression-related-enchantments/string breaks in 4.8 not too strict (i
> want to add tasklist dnd again, but this requires 1 new string for
> example) we can keep supporting 4.8 in a better (more fun) way then
> 4.6.
>
> In a year gtk3 is also probably worth looking at and in a somewhat
> usable state, but we can of course start with that in branches too.

Yes, I think a year sounds like a good choice. AFAIR, January major
distributions appreciate this because they release around April and
allow new packages to go in until around February.

  - Jannis