Xfce 4.10 entering planning phase

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 10:23:37 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at debian.org> wrote:
> On mar., 2011-01-25 at 09:23 +0100, Nick Schermer wrote:
>> >  2. Discuss the so-called Essential Dependencies for the cycle and
>> >     decide which versions to depend on. The end of the Planning
>> Phase
>> >     marks Dependency Freeze and after this point features depending
>> on
>> >     more recent dependencies have to be optional.
>>
>> Gtk2 for sure, don't know if 2.22 is realistic, but that will give us
>> the opportunity to slowly prepare for gtk3, but I don't think any gtk2
>> fully compiles with gseal enabled, so it will only bring problems I
>> think. Else I think we should go with gtk 2.18 and glib 2.22. Debian
>> anything to say about this?
>
> As far as I know, we'll start shipping GTK3 in Wheezy (next stable after
> Squeeze) and stop shipping GTK2 when nobody depends on it (so in 10-15
> years maybe? :). So I'd say it's safe to use GTK2 for now and wait a bit
> for GTK3 stabilisation.

But no idea which version of gtk2 will most likely appear in  Wheezy?
And what about Squeeze? That release will be most-used in the next 2
years, would be nice if we support that regarding testing. That said;
I don't know of any API that we 'need' after 2.14. Jannis do you have
any special requirements.

Nick