testing panel plugins

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Thu Jan 20 08:45:33 CET 2011

On jeu., 2011-01-20 at 00:37 +0100, Nick Schermer wrote:
> Well its open for discussion. I've no idea which distros combine 32/64
> bit;

Fedora/Redhat at least support bi-arch. We (Debian and derivative)
except to support multi-arch “one day”. Though that's support in the
distro, using official package whith support for the correct dependency
informations.

But anyone can run 32bits binaries on 64bit installations with the
correct libs installed. And it's definitely necessary for the usual
proprietary apps like GoogleEarth.

>  seems a bit pree 2000 to me.

Imho it's more something for the future than something from the past.
Multi-arch is really nice and useful. Though I'm not too sure if it
really applies to people using a different architecture than the system
one. I don't really see a need for that support.

>  I can also configure-option this and
> make it behave like the old panel by default; when the configure
> option is enable, we only allow strict location in the same prefix as
> the panel.

I think it's a good idea to look at plugin in the user homedir, but
having panel crashes if the user did an error when looking at system
arch isn't that nice (though I'm not sure it will happen in practice).
Is there no way to check the plugin is compatible with the panel before

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis