Xfce 4.10 entering planning phase

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 00:46:27 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Christoph Thompson
<cjsthompson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
>>
>> > libxfcegui4, libxfce4menu and thunar-vfs are no longer used by the Xfce
>> > core. It probably makes sense to remove them from the core and move
>> > them into libs/, maybe into archive/ even.
>>
>> As for libxfcegui4 "deprecation", work has to be done in all panel
>> plugins to update them to use libxfce4ui. I know frivoal volunteered
>> to overhaul the plugins in the coming months, but i think there's
>> quite some work in this area, as some of them are more or less
>> abandoned. Those tasks are easy pie for new contributors who would
>> like to get familiar with xfce codebase, so more ppl in this area
>> would be welcomed ! :)
>
> Hi,
> I posted patches on the bug tracker to port two plugins to libxfce4ui
> already. I'll do some more later. It would be nice however if someone would
> explain how to properly port functions such as xfce_err/warn and so on.

Florian already asked me to write a porting guide for the gui4 -> 4ui
move, so I will. Only thing that stopped me from doing that were a
couple of bugs, 4.10 release, a new website and some server stuff. So
hopefully I get to that in the next 2 weeks (its on my todo list).

Nick