Share xfce4-session and xfce4-power-manager code

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sun Feb 20 14:58:29 CET 2011

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:57:08 +0100
Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> libunique is pretty self-contained, only depends on
> >> gtk/glib/dbus-glib, and a very small library.
> >> Maybe it can be blessed as a 'regular dependency' of the core ?
> >
> > Also a small object in libxfce4utils can do the job.
>
> Libxfce4ui if it requires Gtk+, but if we want to include something
> like this, we have to agree what to do with the libraries if we switch
> to Gtk3. I guess we make bump the abi version as well, so then we can
> safely remove the 'libunique' api which is also included in gtk3.

I wonder if we really need it. It's true that the number of singleton
services we have in Xfce is increasing (thunar, session manager, power
manager service, xfrun4 in 4.8, xfrun4/xfce4-appfinder in 4.10, ...).

At least Thunar and xfce4-power-manager we already have this
implemented their own ways and I don't expect those implementations to
change much. So maybe we can avoid adding a unique-app feature and
switch to GApplication/GtkApplication once we switch to GTK+ 3.

  - Jannis