maximized windows cover bottom panel in dual monitor configuration

Emre Erenoglu erenoglu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 09:42:01 CEST 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Emre Erenoglu <erenoglu at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 1:41 AM, Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> LCD
> axis)
> >>
> >> Your laptop screen is below the external monitor, this means the panel
> >> cannot set struts on this edge (because struts are relative from the
> >> screen edge). So either but the laptop screen above, left or right of
> >> the external monitor or use a setup with 2 screens.
> >
> > Hi Nick,
> > Thanks for your mail. Putting the laptop somewhere else wouldn't be
> suitable
> > for me from an ergonomics point of view. This is the most ergonomic way
> > work with two screens for me.  Windows XP shell is able to cope up with
> this
> > pretty well, is there something we could do for XFCE? Not everybody puts
> > their monitors side by side and it's generally not possible to put laptop
> > screen above the external monitor :)
>
> Well, that's how it's implemented in the window manager spec, not much
> to do about this. you can file a bug against xfwm4 at
> bugzilla.xfce.org.

OK, I will file it.

> Could you elaborate a bit more what you mean by a setup with 2 screens?
> How
> > can I achive this with xrandr or xorg? Please note that this shall be
> > configurable on the fly since laptop is sometimes connected to work
> external
> > monitor and sometimes home external monitor and sometimes its laptop
> screen
> > alone. I was using xrandr when I change locations to readjust the
> screens.
>
> That depends on the card, but that won't work with xrandr, you need to
> restart x to apply this.

Ah that wouldn't be practically good since I can suspend my computer at work
with 2 monitors,  resume in a train with the laptop lcd only, suspend again
there and resume at home with 2 monitors. I can't close all applications
that I'm working on to restart X.

I think this is a typical use case of a laptop user.

Many thanks,
--
Emre