maximized windows cover bottom panel in dual monitor configuration

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Sun Apr 17 12:49:13 CEST 2011

Am 17.04.2011 09:33, schrieb Emre Erenoglu:

> On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 1:41 AM, Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com
> <mailto:nickschermer at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 3:15 AM, Emre Erenoglu <erenoglu at gmail.com
>     <mailto:erenoglu at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      > Dear Developers,
>      >
>      > I have a notebook screen and a separate monitor.  I usually use
>     my notebook
>      > attached to this external monitor (1680x1050), which sites above
>     the LCD of
>      > the notebook (1280x800) and configured as such with xrandr:
>      >  $ xrand
>      > Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1680 x 1850, maximum 8192 x 8192
>      > LVDS1 connected 1280x800+0+1050 (normal left inverted right x
>     axis y axis)
>      > 304mm x 190mm
>      > VGA1 connected 1680x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
>     axis)
>      > 433mm x 270mm
>
>     Your laptop screen is below the external monitor, this means the panel
>     cannot set struts on this edge (because struts are relative from the
>     screen edge). So either but the laptop screen above, left or right of
>     the external monitor or use a setup with 2 screens.
>

> Hi Nick,
>
> Thanks for your mail. Putting the laptop somewhere else wouldn't be
> suitable for me from an ergonomics point of view. This is the most
> ergonomic way to work with two screens for me.  Windows XP shell is able
> to cope up with this pretty well, is there something we could do for
> XFCE? Not everybody puts their monitors side by side and it's generally
> not possible to put laptop screen above the external monitor :)
>
> Could you elaborate a bit more what you mean by a setup with 2 screens?
> How can I achive this with xrandr or xorg? Please note that this shall
> be configurable on the fly since laptop is sometimes connected to work
> external monitor and sometimes home external monitor and sometimes its
> laptop screen alone. I was using xrandr when I change locations to
> readjust the screens.
>
> --
> Emre

I got the same monitor configuration and therefore, the same problem.
There's nothing you can do about it, you have to resize the windows
manually.

Besides, the workspace switcher doesn't recognize any change of monitor
configuration done by xrandr, so you have to reload the panel using
xfce4-panel -r after adding or removing a monitor.

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'