maximized windows cover bottom panel in dual monitor configuration

Emre Erenoglu erenoglu at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 03:15:06 CEST 2011

Dear Developers,

I have a notebook screen and a separate monitor.  I usually use my notebook
attached to this external monitor (1680x1050), which sites above the LCD of
the notebook (1280x800) and configured as such with xrandr:
 $ xrand
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1680 x 1850, maximum 8192 x 8192
LVDS1 connected 1280x800+0+1050 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
304mm x 190mm
VGA1 connected 1680x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
433mm x 270mm

The command which ensures that my external monitor is "above" the LCD is:
xrandr --output VGA1 --auto --above LVDS1 --output LVDS1 --auto
where VGA1 is the external monitor and LVDS1 is the notebook internal LCD.

I like using just one panel and it sits at the bottom of the external
monitor. External monitor is the main screen I'm using. I generally move
some other windows to the laptop screen when I need to see some status
windows.

Everything runs flawless, but I have just one issue:

Whenever I maximize a window which resides in the external monitor, it
maximizes to cover the whole external monitor screen (1680x1050), and falls
behind the Xfce4 panel bar. So for example, I can't see the status bar of
the browsers.  When I try to adjust the "workspaces --> margins" setting,
the setting applies only on the laptop screen (not external monitor).
However, this setting does not apply separately to all monitors, it believes
that I have just one big monitor (1680x1850).

I think this needs to be fixed in the window manager, it shall understand
that there are actually two monitors and should not let windows go behind or
cover the "panel" area, whereever that sits according to user configuration.

Hope I could explain the situation, i can send pictures if it's not clear.

Thanks & Best Regards,
--
Emre