[Xfce4-commits] <xfce4-session:master> Reuse existing ConsoleKit sessions (bug #6685).

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sun Sep 19 23:25:37 CEST 2010

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 14:15:19 +0200
Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at debian.org> wrote:

> On dim., 2010-09-19 at 13:05 +0200, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> >
> > Session1:
> > 	unix-user = '1000'
> > 	realname = 'Enrico Tröger'
> > 	seat = 'Seat1'
> > 	session-type = ''
> > 	active = FALSE
> > 	x11-display = ''
> > 	x11-display-device = ''
> > 	display-device = '/dev/tty1'
> > 	remote-host-name = ''
> > 	is-local = TRUE
> > 	on-since = '2010-09-08T10:42:41.507107Z'
> > 	login-session-id = '4294967295'
> > 	idle-since-hint = '2010-09-08T12:13:46.014734Z'
> >
> > (this is the only listed session)
> > Lately, with Nick's ck-l-s command in e/x/x/xinitrc, I got way
> > more sessions and always one with "active = True" which seems
> > to be a key requirement for things to work.
>
> Yeah, I think you need an active=True session, and maybe only one
> session at all.

Well, each tty login creates a new session (at least this seems to be
the case with upstart on Fedora 13), so there may be more than just one
session. Also, there will always be one active session at best and this
should be the one you're looking at with your eyes when you type in
"ck-list-sessions". E.g. when you are in Xfce on tty7 and you open a
terminal and type in "ck-list-sessions", the session with
"display-device = '/dev/tty7' should have "active = TRUE" while all
others should be inactive. So 'active' is not a permanent state, it
changes when switching between the TTYs.

> > Maybe calling ck-l-s within xfce4-session is just too late?
>
> I don't think so, but starting CK unconditionally while there might be
> another session running may lead to troubles.

Yes. The question is how scripts (e.g. the ones on Debian) decide when
to open a new ConsoleKit session that is set up to work with XOrg/Xfce.
Can you find out what the conditions are or what is done to set up
ConsoleKit when calling "startx"?

  - Jannis