xfdesktop port to GIO

Skunnyk skunnyk at archlinux.fr
Mon Nov 1 11:40:19 CET 2010

Hi,

> Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
>
> > Hey everyone,
> >
> > during the last two weeks, I've been working on rewriting parts of
> > xfdesktop based on GIO and Thunar's D-Bus API. The ultimate goal
> > was to remove the dependency on thunar-vfs entirely. This work can
> > be found on
> >
> >   http://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfdesktop/log/?h=jannis/port-to-gio

Congrats !

> > There a few issues remaining, some of them mentioned as TODOs in the
> > source code. Most of the features in xfdesktop are still working and
> > the dependency on thunar-vfs has been removed successfully -- which
> > is the last big piece that was missing before we could start doing
> > Xfce 4.8 pre-releases.
> >
> > I'll try to fix the last problems this week and then I will merge
> > the changes into master. After that we can discuss a new schedule
> > for 4.8 based on the outdated one previously agreed on:
> >
> >   http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.8/schedule
> >
> > In the meantime, I invite you all to test the jannis/port-to-gio
> > branch of xfdesktop. You will have to wait for the next development
> > release before you can file bugs against the GIO codebase, however.

It works here, no stability problem.

About desktop icons, when I set 'File/Launcher icons', icons
appears, but when I right clic on desktop, icons blink, and
after 4 or 5 clics, desktop icons crash (with xfdesktop[4012]:
segfault at 200602 ip b7030b3a sp bf80f240 error 4 in
libgio-2.0.so.0.2600.0[b7001000+e8000] in dmesg).
But anyway I am not using desktop icons :-)

> > Cheers,
> > Jannis
>
> Awesome, thanks for all your hard work. This is about the last thing
> remaining that hinders my adoption of a HAL-less desktop. I still
> need my desktop automount icons over here. :D
I use an hal-less desktop since 3months and all is well :-)