exo & dependencies

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Mon May 3 14:26:10 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> On another though, who “patches” binary packages? If a distributor is
> going to provide different settings dialogues, it can be done but in
> the source package like for Debian and Fedora packages. Nobody (one in
> a million) is going to edit the Glade file under /usr/share to mock
> the interface. Granted this can still sound nonsense because this
> process needs one to tweak the file, compile, test instead of simply
> tweaking and testing. It's more work, and I tend to think it is worth
> reading the dialogues of the xfce4-settings project from XML files.

sysadmins? to hide some options from the UI or to accommodate a
smaller screen for example?

I believe Sysadmins won't easily change a source file and rebuild, but
might be more incline to play with an XML file (otherwise, what's the
point of installing the UI as an XML to be loaded at runtime if it's
not to be "{tweak|break}able").

PS: we might be going a tad off topic wrt the original question :)

Cheers,
Olivier.